So I decided to silk screen an old guitar. It was already non-functioning so I didn’t have to worry about screwing anything up too bad. If the printing and finishing go as planned I’ll start thinking about re-jiggering it with new pickups and wiring and such. After disassembling it (the easiest part so far) it had to be stripped of its original paint job. This was the worst part by far; about halfway through it looked like the old paint was not going to come off. I kept working on it though, and eventually it bent to my will.
Here’s what it looked like after the paint and finish were removed, and one coat of primer applied. The guitar was a stratocaster knockoff if you’re wondering about that sort of thing…
Next a white acrylic base coat was applied. These first steps were a bit of a messy job, so I did them in the backyard of my parents’ house in New Jersey. The suburbs are perfect for this kind of thing.
Once it was dry and ready to go, I brought it back to the city and to the SVA printshop. Things started coming together pretty quickly at this point. So much so that I forgot to take a picture of the first color I screened on to the guitar. Truthfully, the yellow on there by itself didn’t look that great, so just as well.
But the blue screen looked pretty good and you could see the image starting to come together. The black screen was next:
At this point I was pretty excited. When you do a project like this, somewhere in the back of your head you have the “dream come true” and “huge disaster” scenarios playing out before you in some astral plane theater of fate. After a shaky beginning this was looking to be solidly in the “dream come true” camp.
I went into the pickup holes with a brush and painted them bright red. That’s it for now. The next step is to put a clear protective finish on it, which will be polished to a nice shine. Then reassembly…